~ Welcome to our Little Vintage Camper Blog…

We bought our Camper/Trailer on Saturday, April 2, 2011

It’s been slow going…but now 4 (now 5) years later, I’m happy to say we are in FULL BLOWN REBUILD MODE!

Won’t you come along and see how we do it.

I hope more than anything…we get to camp soon!

Oh yes, and leave a comment, and let me know you visited…. I love to read them and will answer each one!

Monday, June 15, 2015

The New-ISH Door–

This weekend we worked on the trailer.
A couple of weeks ago—we bought a door off a man, that had various trailer parts in his back yard.
camper door fitting
This week we modified the door jam and fit the door onto the trailer. The new door was about 1 inch too small lengthwise and width-wise.
This is what it looked like 4 years ago when we dragged brought it home! It was a frame with cabinet doors screwed to it.
camper-before
Now we have a bona-fide camper door, with window. We’re not finished with it, of course, but I’m so happy to have a it on especially now that it’s supposed to rain this week.
I put new screen in the screen door and modified the little sliders for the door knob opening. Can you tell what I used? camper door
AN OLD LICENSE PLATE!
modified camper screen door
In case you don’t remember, we have no idea what type of camper this is… make, model, year, etc. Just that it’s a camper.  I call it a deer lease camper…because that what it had been used for, for many years.  It’ has been VERY USED! 
I said all that to remind you that we’re not going back inside this camper like an original rebuild. It will be modified and styled after our own tastes.  Rustic and junky… of course it will be getting purty-fied inside and out… the rustic junky will be the style.
License plates inserts… fit the bill for that! The door and whole exterior will be getting paint… hopefully soon!
Lastly, this weekend we had to break down and buy another tongue jack. The one that was on there…just wouldn’t work. It was a hindrance and dangerous!  image
I really can’t wait to get to the PURTY-FYING PART! Because while I do want Rustic… I’m not sure I’m comfortable with all the RUST… on something I’m dragging around behind me.  Something might fall off!
I do have some pictures of cutting the door opening and adding new supports for the door.  I used the Kreg Jig Jr… for some of this work.  I think I’m getting a little bit better with that tool.
I’ll post an actual in progress post for the beefing up the door jam soon so check back!
Thanks for visiting…
Grace and Peace!

2 comments:

  1. cool beans! baby steps, right?

    Love the addition of the license plates Patricia.

    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The babiest of baby steps! ....I hope to incorporate more plates inside! ;)

      Delete

I really enjoy reading your comments; please leave me one before you go-- so I'll know you've been here for a visit.
And please, DO COME BACK!