~ Welcome to our Little Vintage Camper Blog…

We bought our Camper/Trailer on Saturday, April 2, 2011

It’s been slow going…but now 4 (now 5) years later, I’m happy to say we are in FULL BLOWN REBUILD MODE!

Won’t you come along and see how we do it.

I hope more than anything…we get to camp soon!

Oh yes, and leave a comment, and let me know you visited…. I love to read them and will answer each one!

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Rear has Been Brought UP!

I last posted about the Tear out version:  Back inside the Rear  and  Bringing up the Rear  
you can click on those links to read them. 

This is replacing the studs in the wall and exterior plywood sheathing. 
We only had to replace from the window down;  so the blue you see is the tarp pulled up and holding the aluminum rolled up and out of the way so we could work. 

Honey has rebuilt the studs across the back of the trailer in this picture. 
 Believe it or not... This was a pretty easy task; rebuilding the rear wall. In this picture you can see that the corner post  is good (you'll see the opposite one on down in the post)

 The studs in this particular trailer are generally 2x2's or 2x4's as I've said before; sometimes they are pieced together to make a 2x6. In rebuilding this back wall;  we were out of 2x2's so this is 2 - 2x3's that we had and repurposed them  to reconstruct the wall. We also used a 2x4 going along the middle  and a 2x3 (white) that was repurposed from the bed that had been built by the previous owner. All good wood, although it appears to be worn in some areas-- it is very sturdy now.

This is the plywood put into place.  We cut the end off to measure the width of the trailer and then Honey cut out for the window. So it is all one piece.
 I think that the reason they call this 'ply'wood--- is because IT IS SO PLIABLE. It molds to the shape we need so easily. This piece curved just were we needed it and is held easily with screws.

 One piece of plywood is all it took from the top of the window- (covered by the tarp)

 View from inside- with Tarp covering the window opening. The plywood meets up right at the top of the window; just under the pink insulation.
In this window you can see that the corner post in the rear is in really good condition, I mentioned this in a previous post-- We did NOT have to replace these (both rear corners were good,surprisingly) 

 Rolling the aluminum skin back down getting ready to cover the plywood. 

Fastening Aluminum~ 
You can see that we have not cut out for the cargo hold door yet. 
We have some smaller pieces of plywood that have to be added inside to beef up the lower corners where the tail-lights will be and then we will be replacing the rest of the aluminum siding and door trim. 

Tarp Tying 101~ 

 Weather Predictors were calling for rain.

Here is the trailer all buttoned up for rainy weather.

It held pretty well. We had pretty severe weather here in East Texas last night.
Our county  and our little Town had Tornado Warnings early this morning; and several Tornadoes were indicated throughout the area.  (Dallas, Kaufman, and Hunt Counties)

Thanks for Reading
Grace and Peace. 

1 comment:

  1. I love watching you restore this little jewel to it's original condition. I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment out of it once it's finished.


I really enjoy reading your comments; please leave me one before you go-- so I'll know you've been here for a visit.
And please, DO COME BACK!